Sunday, January 9, 2011

You are so dumb. No really.


  I have to admit something: I totally judge people who have a confederate flag pattern splayed somewhere on their giant, lifted, mud-tired, gas guzzling truck. I don't think well of them. I assume that they are not good people. Oh please, don't give me that bullshit about it being about Southern pride and heritage, I was born in Nashville and raised mainly in the South and I know better. Let's forget about that.

 A good, kind person is like a really awesome chest thumping drum riff in a song you can't get out of your head: she makes you smile, he lifts your spirits. I think you know what I mean. Also, a really smart person that's clever and quick-witted, can make your day better just by talking within earshot. Don't misunderstand me, It's not that I can only appreciate intelligence. Uh, hello...it's not like I'm the brightest crayon in the box myself. It's that I feel myself being bothered by the buzzing of idiots around us all. Due to that droning sound, I promise I will appreciate even more than I do at this instant, the various qualities and music of people that are the closest and dearest to me. For instance, a kind demeanor, an ethical world-view, a generous nature, a fun attitude, a beautiful appearance, and most awesome of all, an obvious and palpable love for those they're with. Intelligence, oh man does it ever engage my appreciation whenever I encounter it, especially when I'm not expecting it. It overcomes my defenses and demands my interest. I am a sucker for it. If some cruel magician forced me to choose between being an intelligent asshole or being a benevolent idiot, hear me good now, I'd struggle and fret...Hmm, let me think on it... but I'd eventually choose to be a benevolent idiot. Hopefully I'd be too dumb to regret the decision later.

  And so I'm back to my first thought. I've been wondering as I sit here, what sort of vehicle would be the exact opposite of a giant truck with a confederate flag, oh wait a minute AND those repulsive nutsacks hanging from the tow hitch just for good measure? I'm not sure why, but I keep picturing a giant hot-air balloon. I can't decide what would be splayed on it's fabric, but it would be big and obvious and it would make my favorite people smile.

1 comment:

Amy Shepherd said...

That's so funny!! Sunday, I almost sent you a picture text of the jacked up, mud tires, balls hanging from the rear, confederate flag stickered truck in front of me.. as I was thinking, 'what an idiot'